Students can register themselves in a Course or place themselves on a Waitlist, and staff with appropriate permissions can also perform those functions for students, as well as higher level course management functions.
The Training App allows Course Managers, Instructors, App Owners, and Site Admins to manage Course registrations and waitlists from one screen.
Students can be managed from the Course details screen, which is accessed either from the Training Calendar or from the sidebar of any page within Training, by clicking the appropriate category under Categories on the right then clicking the Course name.
Once you're on the Course details screen, click Manage Students (1) at the top to display a list of students registered in each Session.
From this point, you can edit any registrants within any Session in the Course. You can also move users to the waitlist, email users a notice, retrieve user course status, and remove users from the Course. This can all be done in bulk as well by using the checkboxes next to the users. There are also a full set of export functions in the top right hand corner of the screen.
When managing registrants, you can change the record and update their status to mark the student as completed, incomplete, cancelled, or a no show. You can also move users back to the waitlist or remove them from the course date altogether. There is a comments section that records any comments you have regarding the registrants.
Move to Waitlist moves a student from being registered in the course to the waitlist. This is a general waitlist for the Course, and doesn't waitlist the user for a specific Session. See below in this article for information on managing the waitlist.
Email Notice allows you to send an email from within the intranet software. You can choose the From, CC, BCC, and Subject fields, add to the message beyond the Course name and Session date, and attach a file. When your email is complete, click the Send button to finish.
If you're tracking registrations and attendance, it can be important to to track students' status so you know the number of students who were complete, incomplete, no-shows, or who cancelled.
After clicking Manage Students from within the Training App:
- Check the box beside the name of the student's status you want to change, or multiple boxes to change multiple statuses (1).
- Click status (2) at the top to access the Status screen.
- Once you're on the Status screen, depending on your choice on the previous screen you can update the status for one student or do a bulk update as shown below. Click the box for the appropriate status.
- Make comments if needed.
- Click Save to finish.
You're now returned to the Manage Students screen, where the new status displays.
Remove From Course
On occasion an Admin may need to remove a user or users from a Session.
To do this, after clicking Manage Students from within the Training App:
- Check the box beside the name of the student you want to remove, or multiple boxes to remove several users.
- Click remove at the top.
- Confirm the removal by clicking OK (or Cancel to stop the process).
If a student removes their registration prior to the course taking place and frees up a seat in a Course with a waitlist, an email notification is sent to the Instructor and Course Manager and an email is sent to the waitlist notifying them a seat has opened up for the course date.
Course Managers and Instructors can use this screen to add waitlisted users to a class that has additional spots available. Note that when a seat becomes available, it's available to anyone, so quick action by a Course Manager or Instructor to secure the seat for a waitlisted person is recommended.
After clicking Manage Waitlist from within the Training App:
- Check the box beside the name of the student (or students) on the waitlist you want to change (1).
- There are now three actions you can take:
- Click email notice (1) to send the user an email from within the software.
- Click remove (2) to remove the user from the Waitlist; you'll need to click OK to finalize.
- click Register for Session if there's an available seat and you want to register the user. This will bring you to the Register Me function; learn more about how to register for a course.
Users can pull reports on courses to show which courses have upcoming sessions, past sessions, as well as seeing which students attended a course.
To access reporting for courses, navigate to the Training App or Site on the intranet, and look under Reporting on the right. There are two available options, as shown below. Note that all report results can be exported to Excel or PDF.
Search by Course
As shown below, Search by Course allows you to click on a Course name (1) and choose to report on either its sessions, students, waitlisting, or show the overall summary stats (i.e. number of sessions, students, and statuses). Selecting either sessions or students will reveal additional search criteria (2).
Note that you can select multiple courses for your report by holding down the Ctrl key as you click on course names.
Search by Student
As shown below, Search by Student allows you to search for a student by name or email (1), or to show only your own courses (2).
For each of these options, you can also add search criteria to show only courses which are:
- waitlisted (3) or
- registered and
- status for the registered courses (4)
- current courses, past courses, or courses from a specified date range (5)
Assign Report Builders
Report Builders can compile statistics for course session dates, registrants and waitlists, including a summary screen on how many registrants have taken courses to date, the total number waitlisted, how many students completed a course versus were set to incomplete, cancelled or were a no-show, etc.
To assign Report Builders, when you're within the Training App:
- Click Toolbox on the right.
- Click App Admin.
- Click Assign Report Builders.
- Select a user - or users, by pressing the Ctrl key as you click user names
- Click the Save button to assign report builders.
If you later need to delete report builders, click the red Delete icon beside their name.
Note that courses which are under view-secured Categories will display registrant information in the reporting area, but Report Builders won't have access to view the Course details or to register for secured courses. Learn more about Security for Apps.
Adjust Attendance for Past Session Dates
Often the class list of attendees needs to be adjusted by a Course Manager or Admin after a session has occurred, in order to accurately reflect who was in attendance.
To do this:
- Within the Training App, locate the course under Categories and click its name.
- Click Manage Students. If there are no currently scheduled sessions, you'll see there are no students registered.
- Click the link for view history (expired sessions) as shown below.
- You'll see a list of all previously delivered (i.e. expired) sessions. Click the link for the date for which you want to manage students.
- At this point, you can:
- Add a student - click the link to [add student] (1), select from available names, include a status if desired, and click Add
- Change student status - click the box beside their name (2), click status (3) to change them to complete/incomplete/no show/cancelled, and click Save
- Remove a student - click the box beside their name (2), click remove (2) to take them off the list of registrants, and click OK to confirm