The Review function of the Documents and Policies App allows for a reminder that a document or policy is due for a review to ensure its currency and accuracy.
In This Article
A common issue is for documents, policies, etc. to get added to a Document Repository and go stale because they were added and never reviewed. The Review On feature addresses this issue by giving a reminder to the document owner that it's time to review - and potentially update - their document.
Intranet Connections' Version 13.5 Policy Assist significantly improved document and policy handling; this article shows functionality which differed or didn't exist in earlier versions. If you'd like to upgrade and are paying annual maintenance, go to Admin > Setup to access upgrade files and follow the Upgrade Process; if you're not active on maintenance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Review Settings at the App Level
Options for the Review function can be set at the Documents App level so that the settings affect all documents. There are several options outlined below.
The Review Date Reminders settings affect all documents and all users chosen to receive email and/or alert reminders.
- When you're in the App, click Toolbox on the right.
- Click App Admin.
- Click Review Date Reminders; you'll see a Settings screen as shown below. On this screen:
- choose whether you want an additional 1, 2, or 3 reminders in addition to the final reminder on the due date (note: reminder dates must be in descending order similar to the below image or they will cancel each other and never be sent)
- choose the days prior to the due date and the time of the reminders
- choose whether the reminders should be send as both company email and intranet alerts, or as only one of those
- Click the Save button to retain your changes.
Required Review of Documents
It's also possible for an Admin to make the Review On field required. To access the settings, when you're in the App click Toolbox > App Admin > Manage Fields. Click the edit pencil to the right of Review On (1) and check the box for required (2). As with any field, you can also rename or delete it; learn more about fields in Apps. Click the Save button to retain your changes.
Review Settings at the Document Level
Review settings can be either put in place when a document or policy is added to the repository, or when the file is edited in the repository.
Users who are in the App and have permissions to Add files (learn more about Security for Apps) will see a Review On tab. Once they've added all relevant information on the initial Add tab (or Edit tab, if the file was already in the App) and clicked Save, users can click the Review On tab, as shown below.
In the Review On tab, users can:
- select a date (and time, if the option was chosen at the App level) that the file needs to be reviewed (1)
- select a user(s) who will receive the review reminder (2)
- add any notes about the review or file as needed (3)
Dashboard Review Reminders
There are two sets of reminders associated with document reviews: reminders for the person responsible for the document reviews, and reminders for all documents in the App.
Reminders for the person responsible for document reviews are found in My Dashboard. Learn more about My Dashboard.
Reminders for all documents can be found under Toolbox > App Admin > Review On Reminders, then clicking GO TO DASHBOARD; you'll need to be an Admin or App Owner to view this. As shown below, this dashboard displays all documents with an associated Review On date. The drop-down allows items to be displayed by folder (1). Clicking on the linked file title (2) takes you to the edit view of the file. Clicking the linked folder name (3) takes you to a list of all documents in that folder.