Insights is the built-in statistical tool for Intranet Connections software, providing admins with tools to better understand intranet usage. Learn more in the Stats Overview article.
This article refers to Version 14.0 Insights.; if your software is Version 13.5 or earlier, refer to the article Site Analytics - Version 13.5 and Earlier. If you'd like to upgrade and are paying annual maintenance, go to Admin > Setup to access upgrade files and follow the Upgrade Process; if you're not active on maintenance, contact email@example.com for information.
The Content dashboards show the view and individual counts of items summarized at the item level.
These dashboards can be used to understand what items are being heavily viewed in the intranet, or to find items no longer in use for removal. It’s recommended to periodically remove unused items to reduce clutter in the intranet, which in turn improves global search.
The Content category contains five dashboards:
- Top Content - Provides a list of the most commonly viewed items in the intranet.
- Stale Content - Provides a list of the least viewed items in the intranet.
- Top Pages - Provides a list of the most commonly viewed pages in the intranet.
- Stale Pages - Provides a list of the least viewed pages in the intranet.
- Deleted Items - Provides a list of recently deleted items. Not that only individual item deletions are tracked, and this does not include items deleted when an entire site or application is deleted.
Top Content and Stale Content provides statistics for items which are managed within applications. This includes an employee’s profile in Employee Directory, a document in Documents Library, an event in a Calendar, etc.
Top Pages and Stale Pages provides statistics for pages within the intranet. These include the Home pages for Sites, along with Widget and Content pages that have been added to a Site.
All content dashboards (except Deleted Items) display the same columns. You can change both the primary filter and secondary filters to filter results by a specific site, or restrict views to users in a specific department or location. The columns in both dashboards include:
- Icon - Clicking the icon will open the item in the intranet
- Title -The title of the item. Information in each row is specific to the item
- Context - The item’s intranet context is shown to make it easier to distinguish between items with the same name in different applications
- Last Updated - The date and time the item was last updated in the intranet
- Views - The total number of views of the item, including both user and anonymous views; note that if one user views the same item multiple times without navigating to different application, it’s treated as one view
- Individuals - Number of unique people who have viewed the item in the set time frame; all anonymous views are treated as one individual
By default, these dashboards display views by all users for all items across all sites, and the department or location columns are not shown. To filter down the item views by time frame, site, department or location, you can adjust the following filters.
- Primary Filter
- Site - Shows the items for all sites, or just the applications for a specific site
- Start / End Dates - Restrict the view and individual counts to a specific time frame
- Secondary Filter
- All Applications - Include items for all applications for the site(s) selected in the primary filter, or choose a specific application to view only items in a specific application
- Filter by Demographic - Options include Everyone, Department, or Location. When everyone is selected, each row corresponds to one item. When either Department or Location is selected, the respective column is added to the table, and each row then segments the view and individual counts by the department or location associated with each user.
- All Departments - Choose to segment item views by all departments or a specific department; when a specific item is selected with All Applications, the table shows item views by a specific department
- All Locations - Like All Departments, but segmenting by location
Example: Measuring Company News Effectiveness
Let’s say you've recently tried to update staff more often on the latest company announcement using the Company News application. Now you want to measure how many people in your organization have read the most recent announcements. To start:
- Open the Top Content dashboard.
- For All Applications, choose Company News and click apply.
- Click the Last Updated column header to sort by the last updated date.
You should now see the most recent announcements in Company News.
In the above example, we can see that the “Sales Report” was the last updated Company News announcement, and was viewed 25 times by 15 different people. The previous announcement, “How Much Changes in a Year?” was slightly more popular.
If you want to see the names of the actual individuals who viewed the latest announcements, you can click the Export link. Export will download a .csv file which you can open in Excel to view the individual records used for the statistics summaries.
If you're part of a large organization, you can get a breakdown for each announcement by department or location by changing Everyone in the secondary filter. This also will then include Department or Location information when you click the Export link.
- In the secondary filter, change Everyone to Department
- Click Apply.
- Click the Sort Options button.
- Choose: Sort by Last Updated, Newest to Oldest
- Then choose By Department, A to Z
Now we can see the breakdown of the Sales Report announcement by department. The primary sort is still Last Updated, oldest to newest, but then sorted by department in alphabetical order.
You can do the same set of steps using Location instead of Department, to measure which locations are more or less engaged.