Do you need to create an App from scratch for a specific purpose? Use our drag and drop App Builder.
App Builder gives you the flexibility to create any type of App that works for your organization - anything from staff suggestions of nearby lunch options, to recognition of extra efforts by individuals. In essence, it's a custom form you create to set up information you want to gather. It's so flexible that most of the Apps listed in the Applications section (i.e. other than ones with very different data such as Photo Albums) were built with the App Builder platform!
Additional App Builder ideas are provided in the blog links below.
From the Intranet Connections Blog
Create an App
To build an App, follow this process:
- Click on the top right link for Admin.
- Click the Assets tab. You'll now see all of the sites in your intranet - the Home or main site, plus all additional sites.
- Click on the card for the site where you want to add the App.
- Click the + icon next to the Apps button.
- You'll now see all of the Apps available for that site. Click the card for Appbuilder.
- You'll land on a Create New App page showing the card for Appbuilder.
- If you just want to give the App a name and/or description and come back to it later, click Create. You'll end up back on the Apps page and can navigate where you want to go.
- If you want to give the App a name and/or description and start making changes to the App settings straight away, click Build. You'll end up on the Summary page where you can change all of the App settings as noted below.
- Keep in mind that when you add an App to your site it isn't automatically added to the Global or Site navigation. You'll need to add it to the navigation, as explained in the 'Edit Navigation' section of the article 'Create Navigation'.
Most application types can be cloned. Cloning is done within the admin site under the Assets tab; learn more about cloning an App. This allows you the flexibility of creating a new repository using a particular template. Each template features different layout and content options tailored to fit particular needs.
Build App Fields
After creating your AppBuilder App as above, your next step is to build it by adding the fields staff will use to submit information. Before doing this, you should have a clear idea of the purpose of your App, the type of information to be entered in each field (e.g. dates, numbers, text, link, etc.), how you want to manage security, etc.
To add and edit fields to your App:
- After adding your App, click Manage Fields on the right (or click Toolbox > App Admin > Manage Fields).
- The fields Title and Created By are already in place. Note that any field in the App can be retitled (click the blue linked title and type a new name) or edited (click the edit pencil to the far right of the field name).
- Drag and drop fields from the left into place on your App as desired.
- Drag and drop fields within the App as needed to reposition fields.
- Click Save to retain your changes in App fields.
- Make changes to Layout by clicking either Home Page, List View, or Item View. Learn more about Layout for Apps.
Test out your App by entering (and later deleting) data, impersonating other users if you're a Super Admin (learn more about impersonating users), etc.
Choose advertising options for your App, set up security, change App Settings, etc. You can also add folder workflow to your App to provide permissions. When you've finalized the App, add it to your navigation.