If you have a shared network drive that all users can access, it's possible to store a reference to files using the Link field in a Document application or any AppBuilder-based app. When users click on the link, the file is automatically opened locally for viewing or editing. Because the file itself remains on the shared drive (i.e. not uploaded to the intranet), any local changes are immediately reflected.
- Skips the need to download the file, make changes, and re-upload
- Any changes to file on network drive are immediately available
- Will not work with intranet's file versioning
- Content of file is not indexed in search
- Does not work on all browsers. May or may not work on Internet Explorer.
- Everyone accessing the file must have rights to the shared drive
- When the user clicks the link, the file will be opened from network drive
Put the link to the shared drive in the description of the application for easy cutting and pasting when adding an item, as shown in the image below.