Intranet Connections comes with a large selection of pre-built applications - or Apps, as we call them - which act as structured content libraries.
You can customize all of our Apps to better suit your company needs, and you can also create your own App so it does exactly what you want.
In This Article
Most Apps are created from the same starting point, but are then set up with different fields to deliver different types of information to users (e.g. documents, news, images). So once you start working with one App and feeling comfortable, you'll feel a similar level of comfort adjusting settings, security, folders, etc. across all Apps.
Add an App
To add an App, follow this process:
- Click on the top right link link for Admin.
- Click the Assets tab. You'll now see all of the sites in your intranet - the Home or main Site, plus all additional Sites.
- Click on the card for the Site where you want to add the App.
- Click the + icon next to the Apps button.
- You'll now see all of the Apps available to be added to that Site. Each of these are templates, and by adding them you create another instance for your Site. Click the card for the App you'd like to add (e.g. Company News).
- You'll land on a Create New App page showing the card for the App you selected. (Note that when you create and rename you’re just changing the App you created, leaving the original App template untouched.)
- If you just want to give the App a name and/or description and come back to it later, click Create. You'll end up back on the Apps page and can navigate where you want to go.
- If you want to give the App a name and/or description and start making changes to the App settings straight away, click Build. You'll end up on the Summary page where you can change all of the App settings as noted below.
- Keep in mind that when you add an App to your site it isn't automatically added to the Global or Site navigation. You'll need to add it to the navigation, as explained under Intranet Architecture > Create Navigation.
Copy or Clone an App
Applications can be copied in situations where you need to have the same App on another Page or Site and would like to keep the same format for your Application. Note that cloning / copying an application doesn't bring over the content, but just brings over the App structure.
To copy an existing App, use the process below to Manage Apps, and when you get to the App Card, mouse over and click the copy icon as shown below. Give the new App a name, and click Create.
To view the apps already added to a site:
- When logged in as an intranet Admin, click Admin near the top right of any screen.
- Click the Assets tab. (Note: if you're already viewing the site you want to manage, on the right side under Toolbox select Site Admin to save a step.)
- Click the card for the Site you want to view. The number of Apps in the site will display as shown below.
- Click on the Apps button to view the specific Apps.
- Mouse over an App Card, top right, and you'll see the options to copy, move, or delete each App, as shown below.
Folders for Organization & Security
Content within each App is stored in folders. The guidelines on working with folders are:
- An App must have a minimum of one folder, so when you create an App it will automatically have Folder 1, which you can rename as needed. If there's only one folder in an App, its contents will automatically display when you land on the App.
- Expand or contract (1) your view of the folders by clicking the links at the top of the folder list.
- Add as many folders as you like, either by clicking the in-page link to [Add Another Folder] (2) and clicking the blue Save icon; or by clicking Toolbox, top right, and clicking Add New Folder then adding a name an optional description, and clicking the Save button.
- Each folder can have subfolders, which can have subfolders, etc. If a folder contains subfolders, this will be indicated by the multiple-folder icon (3). To add a subfolder, click the in-page link (4). We suggest no more than three levels of folders.
- Choose whether you want to display the number of subfolders or the number of items within a folder by clicking Toolbox, top right, scrolling down to Options and clicking Folder Properties.
Click on Toolbox on the right, then click Manage Folders | Security, which lands you in the App Admin section. You'll now see all of your folders, and if there are subfolders you`ll see an icon for multiple files.
Click on a folder name and you'll see multiple options to manage that specific folder (1), including:
- Folder owners - you can assign a folder owner who can act as a limited administrator of a folder, managing security, workflow, etc.
- Folder security - choose security permissions for users, groups, or all users. Learn more about Security for Apps.
- Workflow - similar to Forms Workflow, you can set actions and triggers for folders.
- Advertise - enable or disable advertising for each folder.
- Multiple file upload - allows you to perform a batch upload of files to a specific folder or category within the Application
- Move folders - click move and you can move the folder into the top level folder or any of the other folders within the App
- Copy folder structure - copy the structure, with the option of retaining security and settings
Each folder also has associated archival options (2) which will affect the options presented to users for each individual item. Each folder can be set to require a date for archiving, and/or to have the Archive On button checked by default (i.e. so a user would actively have to choose to not archive the item).
Security can be managed for Apps by assigning an App Owner, and/or by assigning folder permissions. Learn more about Security for Apps.
Every App has extensive settings you can customize. To access these, when you're in the App click Toolbox top right, then click App Admin. Features include those listed below.
In addition, you have many options for layout of your App information. Learn more about Layout for Apps.
After clicking App Admin you'll land on the Summary screen. Here you can:
- Change the display name (1) or description (2) of your App.
- Click the checkboxes (3) to choose whether the colorful App icon, title, and description will display for users.
After making any of these changes, click the blue Save icon (4) which appears during editing, so your changes are retained.
Available settings will vary based on the App, but will include some or all of:
- Properties - choose options for adding a header graphic, including in site search (and/or excluding archived items), pagination, whether the number of items or subfolders will display in folders (manage more folder options in the Folders | Security setting of App Admin), whether files and links will open in a new window, and whether Read Confirmation is active. Learn more about Read Confirmation.
- Ratings | Comments - choose options for thumbs up/down ratings for pages, and whether to include (or moderate) comments.
- Tagging - tagging is another means of classifying content and locating it. Choose whether to include tags and to allow users to create their own tags.
Fields can be retitled, removed, or added, so any App better suits your organization's needs. To do this, under Toolbox click Manage Fields. You'll now see all of the data fields which will show to users when they enter information into the App.
You can click and drag to reorder fields, or click and drag fields from the left column into your field options.
For each field, mouse over the right side to reveal options:
- edit pencil - click this to show more options for the field
- delete icon - click this to remove the field entirely
You can also click on the linked field name to change the name that users see, change the size of certain fields, etc.
After making a change, scroll to the top and click the Save button to retain your changes.
Advertising for Apps
New content added to any App can be advertised to the Site Home Page in the What's New feed. To access advertising settings, while in the App an Admin can click Toolbox on the right, click App Admin, and click Advertising Options.
This page shows:
- Folder Advertising - advertising is set by folder, and all folders currently in the App are shown. If the box is checked for a folder, contributors can advertise content. If the box is not checked, contributors aren't able to advertise content. To make changes to advertising for a folder, select or deselect a box and click Save to retain changes.
Advertising Options - set options for advertising, including:
- default to advertise now - all added content will advertise to What's New unless the contributor specifically chooses that it shouldn't
- thumbnail for advertising - this shows in the What's New feed beside the item; you can put in place a standard thumbnail, as well as choose whether users can add their own thumbnail if desired
- archive - set a standard period of time for when items move into the archive; for news items this may be a short time, for other items this may be much longer
After making any changes, click Save to retain them.
Types of Apps
Following is a list of the Apps available in Intranet Connections. Note that some are only available on the Home site or on Sites other than Home, as specified.
- App Builder - custom-build any type of App you need
- Blogs - blog to share company, management, team, or project updates and insights
- Buy and Sell - staff-only marketplace of items to sell or give away
- Company News - organizational announcements and news of any type
- Company Store - post branded items for sale, track internal inventory, etc.
- Contacts - store organizational contacts such as links to industry sites, vendors, competitors, or articles
- Discussion Board - topics for conversation or best practices
- Documents & Policies - document management including features of check in/out and read/confirm; this App has many features so it's in its own section rather than the Applications section
- Events Calendar - create calendars for staff events, stat holidays, or vacations
- Job Center - display job openings for staff
- Knowledgebase - store FAQs, information to be shared with staff, etc.
- Library - library resources for resources to check out
- Photo Albums - post company photos, share organizational logos, etc.
- Recipe Share - share favorite recipes, ingredients, nutritional information
- Suggestion Box - share employee suggestions for improving the organization
- Support Desk - submit tickets for techs and track progress
- Task Manager - delegate tasks to group members
- Training - create courses staff can register for, manage registrations and waitlists; this App has many features so it's in its own section rather than the Applications section
- Video Library - modified version of the Documents App provided on initial installation intranet