Applications - or Apps - are pre-built structures for content which are typically used throughout an intranet to present specific types of content in specific ways. Learn more about Apps in the article 'App Overview'.
Security within Apps is managed both at the folder level and by assigning App owners, as described below.
Folders for Security
All Apps have folders (referred to as Categories in several Apps) to store and organize content. Learn more about using and managing folders in the 'App Overview' article. Folders are also where you configure content security.
At the folder level, you can define and configure the specific users and/or groups that can view, add, edit and/or delete the content within each of your folders. The benefit to this method of applying security is that it provides a very granular method of applying permissions to your folders. Different folders can have different user or group rights. Note that if a user can't see any folders within an App, that application is hidden from them.
There are several security options for each folder, each of which allows you to select view, add, edit, or delete:
- Global permissions - affects what all site users can see or do for that folder
- User permissions - affects what individual users can see or do for that folder
- Group permissions - affects what groups can see or do for that folder
To add security to a folder:
- When you're in the App, under Toolbox on the right, click Manage Folders. You'll see all current folders within the App.
- Click the name of the folder you want to secure. You'll see a display of all the folder features.
- Beside folder security, click apply (or view, depending on current security) to change folder security.
Note that it may say OFF even if you have security set up, as ON is only displayed when Global View is set to OFF.
- Now you're viewing the security details for this particular folder. You can make changes as follows:
- Global Folder Security (1) - ON or OFF is shown as the current status of view/add/edit/delete. To change the security setting, click the link beside the item, as shown in green below. If you want that change to apply to subfolders also, click apply down.
- User Permissions (2) - click Assign User Permissions to reveal a drop-down menu of users' names. Click on a user's name - or Ctrl-click on multiple names - then click the view/add/edit/delete checkboxes as appropriate. Click Save to the right of each selected button, and their name and permissions will now show in the User Permissions box (4).
- Group Permissions (3) - click Assign Group Permissions to reveal a drop-down menu of group names. Click on a group name - or Ctrl-click on multiple names - then click the view/add/edit/delete checkboxes as appropriate. Click Save to the right of each selected button, and their group name and permissions will now show in the Group Permissions box (4).
App Owners have full rights to view, add, edit, and delete any content within the App.
Within the Admin area, App Owners also have access to the Assets tab, where they have management rights over their App, and can create categories as well as assign user and group permissions for the App.
To set up App Owners:
- Within the App, click Toolbox on the right.
- Under Permissions on the right, click App Owners.
- Either by starting to type the name and auto-filling or from the drop-down menus select the name(s) of the individuals and/or groups who will be App Owners. The name will immediately show on the page as an owner.
Videos: Did You Know...