Company News is an application, or App, which can be used to post any news for the company such as promotions, retirements, company updates, or birth announcements.
In This Article
The Company News App is one of our most popular, as it can be used in a variety of ways to share information with staff. Using Company News on Team or Department Sites is an effective way of sharing specific types of news such as HR updates or project news; learn more about sites.
Build Your Company News
Start by following the process to add an App to a site.
Once you have the App in place, on the App Card change the title and/or description if you want to customize it for your intranet or for this specific use of Company News. Click Create if you'll return to it later, or Build if you want to start customizing or adding content right away.
Default Company News Layout
The Company News App comes with a standard layout for its default home page, List View, and Item View, as shown with sample content below. All layouts can be customized. Note that if there's only one folder, the Home Page will look like the List View.
Customize Company News
As with all Apps, there are many ways to customize. When you're in the App, click Toolbox (top right) and App Admin to access the settings.
Other than the name and description, you can:
- Choose which fields to display - click Manage Fields to view the current fields on Company News. If you mouse over a field you will get the crosshairs which allow you to hold and drag the field to reposition it, or you can click the edit pencil to show more options or the red circle to delete the field. Learn more about managing fields in the App Overview article.
- Change the layout - edit the layout of the App Home page, List View, or Item View. Learn more about Layout for Apps.
- Use folders to group contents - click Folders | Security to add, rename, or delete folders to categorize Company News listings. Click on the folder name to adjust the security of that folder. Learn more about Security for Apps.
- Add an approval function - click Approval Workflow, then click on a folder name to assign an Approval Manager workflow by folder. Learn more about managing fields in the App Overview article.
- Advertise items - click Advertising Options, then click on a folder name to determine whether items in that folder will be advertised to the site homepage. Typically for Company News, default advertising is turned on so all items appear in the What's New feed on the Home Page. Learn more about advertising options in the App Overview article.
These are just a few of the many ways you can customize the Company News application so it fits with your goals.
Add News Items
To add a news item (assuming you have the permissions to do so):
- Within the News App, click Add, top right.
- Add the details of your news announcement:
- Title - enter a brief but descriptive Title (required)
- Summary - this will show in the advertising and in views such as the List View and others if selected
- Message - the main body of the News announcement; can include all types of formatted text such as bullets, links, etc.
- Publish On - this field is pre-filled with a default date/time but can be altered as needed
- File attachment - use this if you have a document which should accompany the new item
- Link attachment - if there's an associated link, you could add it here, but it's easier to simply add a link within the Summary field
Advertise to - specific options for advertising to the What's New feed on the Home Page:
- Do Not Advertise - News item is created but not advertised on the Home Page
- Advertise Now - News item is created and immediately advertised
- Advertise On - choose a specific date (and time, if preferred) that the item should advertise; helpful when you're creating a News item well in advance but want it to advertise closer to the date
- Thumbnail Graphic - either go with the default graphic or add a specific graphic by clicking 'Choose File'
Click Save to finalize your News item.
Edit News Items
If a News item is updated, best practice is to edit the item (i.e. rather than creating a new item) so users can locate all information in one place. Editing a News item is just like editing any item on the intranet. Go to the item and click the edit pencil on the right side.
As you edit, keep in mind how the News item will look to users in the What's New feed. You can update the title of the item with new information so it's clear to users what has changed. Or add a Summary to highlight aspects of the item.
To retain your changes and maintain the current position in the What's New feed, click Save without adjusting advertising settings. To bump the newly-changed item to the top of the What's New advertising, click 'Advertise Now' before clicking Save to retain your changes.