If you want to make bulk additions or changes to users, you can import users, user details, or user photos via CSV upload. To access this, in the Admin section click the Security tab, then under the heading Logins click Import Logins [CSV utility].
Use this utility to manually import your employees and logins from a CSV (comma separated value file). This way you can populate your intranet with user data such as email, phone number, job description etc.
To automate the CSV import, simply place your users.csv file within the …\Intranet\Scheduled folder on the web server and our scheduled process will consume this file and update your user records. You can control how frequently updates are performed by scheduling the production of your CSV within this folder. The lowest possible update frequency will be every 5 minutes as this is the frequency with which the IC scheduled process runs.
To avoid duplicates your CSV must include either a username or an email address which matches the record in the Employee Directory. Since the email address can be used as a unique identifier, do not upload a CSV which contains a record with a generic email address, as this will result in the first directory record with this email being updated (i.e. instead of a new record being created).
At a minimum, your CSV fields should include Department, Email, First Name, and Last Name. Your CSV file can include any or all of the following column headers:
- About Me
- About My Job
- First Name
- Last Name
If you want to add details to users, you can export an Excel file of your existing users and just add the detail desired and import. To export, click Directory and Advanced Search. Complete a blank search and the link to export to Excel is presented at the top of the screen.
You can select one or more files for the Multiple Upload tool. This will upload photos to your user directory. There are a few options you may select to tell the uploader tool how to match the photos to an existing user:
- By "lastname_firstname": You must name your files you wish to upload as the user's last name and firstname seperated by an underscore. The uploader will attempt to match this with an existing user i.e. john_doe.jpg
- By username: You must name your files you wish to upload as the user's username in the intranet. The uploader will attempt to match this with an existing user i.e. jdoe.jpg
- By email: You must name your files you wish to upload as the user's email in the intranet. The uploader will attempt to match this with an existing user i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org
All selected files will overwrite existing files already matched with the selected users' profile pictures. Photos will be resized and cropped to fit the photo width setting in the Employee Social Directory of 100px.
Part Time Employees
There's a easy way to grant limited access to the intranet for temporary staff, which also allows you to:
- create limited intranet access to temporary staff
- limit access to documents in one folder
- grant access to certain areas of the intranet
- keep sensitive data secure and hidden
- have their account automatically expire
The video below shows you the process.