Photo Albums lets you show off staff and organization photos within your intranet.
In This Article
The Photo Albums App allows you to categorize photos by type, event, or any other grouping. Photos can be flipped through in a slideshow, and have titles and captions added.
Build Your Photo Albums
Start by following the process to add an App to a site.
Once you have the App in place, on the App Card change the title and/or description if you want to customize it for your intranet. Click Create if you'll return to it later, or Build if you want to start customizing or adding content right away.
After creating the App, start adding folders (e.g. Company Events) so images can be added.
Default Photo Albums Layout
The Photo Albums App comes with a standard layout for its default home page, List View, and Item View, as shown with sample content below. All layouts can be customized.
App Home Page View
The image below shows the Photo Albums Home Page with two folders for images. If there were only one folder, you would see all images within the folder rather than the folder name.
Once you click into a folder, you'll see thumbnails of all images in that folder, shown in a gallery view by default (1), as in the first image below. You can also choose to sort your images (2) by title, created date/time (i.e. when added to intranet) or created in Descending order, or snapped date/time (i.e. when the picture was taken) or snapped in Descending order.
If you want to see the details of a particular image, click on the linked image title (3). If you just want to edit the title, click the notepad/pencil icon.
You can also select the details view of images by clicking the button circled below, which shows more information including Caption and Comments (if they've been included). On this screen users can also download the full image (1), edit the image information (2), or delete the image (3) by clicking the appropriate icon. Note that downloading capability can't be turned off for images.
The Item View in Photos Albums is different from other Apps. When you click on an individual photo, the photo enlarges and creates a slideshow by default, with the title field displaying as the image name.
Advance through the images using the left and right arrow keys. Users can also rate thumbs up/down for a photo (if this feature hasn't been disabled). On each image, you can directly access the image detail screen by clicking the small icon shown circled in green below.
Customize Photo Albums
As with all Apps, there are many ways to customize. When you're in the App, click Toolbox (top right) and App Admin to access the settings.
Other than the name and description, you can:
- Change display and upload options - click Properties to show key details of Photo Albums, including:
- choose whether to include the Photo Albums App in a global search of the intranet
- choose if you want to show the number of items within a folder and/or the number of subfolders
- set the file and display settings for photos, including the maximum file size and pixel size
- Choose which fields to display - click Manage Fields to view the current fields on the Photo Albums. Click in the box to type a new Label for the field, click the checkbox under Display to choose whether or not to show the field (note that if the box is greyed out the field is required).
- Use folders to group contents - click Folders | Security to add, rename, or delete folders to categorize Photo Album contents. Click on the folder name to adjust the security of that folder. Learn more about Security for Apps.
- Add an approval function - click Approval Workflow, then click on a folder name to assign an Approval Manager workflow by folder. Learn more about managing fields in the App Overview article.
- Advertise items - click Advertising Options, then click on a folder name to determine whether items in that folder will be advertised to the site homepage.
These are just a few of the many ways you can customize the Photo Albums application so it works best for your organization.
To add photos, navigate to the folder where you want to add the images, and click Add (top right within Photo Albums). A maximum of 50 photos can be uploaded at one time.
You'll see a screen as shown below. Either click within the center box to open a window and browse on your system for photos, or click and drag images from your system into the box. Click the button to Upload Images To Server as circled below to load the images into the intranet.
Your photos will upload and the App will provide a status message, as shown below (1). At this point, you can change the file name (2) of a photo if desired, or add a Short Description (3) for a photo. You also have the option of adding tags for the photos; learn more about tagging on the intranet.
Be sure to click Save before leaving the screen to retain all of your changes.
In the detail view of an image, you can click the Edit pencil directly below the image to edit the fields associated with the image. Specifically:
- Title (1) - the file name becomes the photo Title by default, and this shows in a photo slideshow; you can change the title to something more descriptive if you like
- Graphic Upload (2) - Choose File if you want to upload a new image to replace the current version
- Short Description (3) - text in this field is used for advertising and for searching
- Caption (4) - displays in the Detail view of the photo and provides more information
The above fields are the main fields for images. You can also choose to add other non-required fields such as author and copyright, as well as whether to advertise an image.