Setting permissions on your Intranet folder
The default web root location is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot. If you decide to relocate the IIS web root folder (Intranet folder) to another location, it will need adequate permissions to allow necessary changes to run/update your site.
You will need to make some changes to the NTFS permissions for the IIS web root folder. Take the following steps:
- On the web server, locate the IIS web root directory (by default, this will be C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\)
- Right-click directory, click Properties and click the Security tab
- Click Edit...
- Click Add...
- Click Locations...
- Select the machine name and click OK
- In the text area, enter IIS AppPool\DefaultAppPool and click OK
- Provide this newly added user with the Read & Execute, Modify, List folder contents, Read, Write permissions
- Click Apply then, click OK
- Click OK on the final pop-up window
Be sure to apply the permissions down to child folders as well.
Here is a look at the permissions configuration: