To move your intranet site to a new drive, please take the steps below.
Step One: Server Configurations
- Copy your Intranet directory from the its existing location (by default: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet)
- On the new drive, Paste the Intranet directory into a location of your choice. (ex: D:\inetpub\wwwroot\)
- Open IIS manager on the Intranet Server and do one of two things.
Relocate the Home Directory of the intranet’s website to the new location of your intranet directory. You can do this by right clicking on the website, choosing Properties and choosing the Home Directory tab.
For example, if your intranet was located at C:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet and the new location is D:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet change the Local Path accordingly.
In this example, the Local Path would be set to either C:\inetpub\wwwroot or C:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet. Change this to d:\inetpub\wwwroot or d:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet respectively.
Alternatively, right click on the Intranet website (can be the Default Website) choose New ->Virtual Directory…
1. In Virtual Directory Alias: Enter intranet
2. Enter the location of the new intranet folder.
3. Press Next -> Next -> Finish.
Step Two: Configure Admin > Site Settings
Bring up your intranet site through the browser on the new server. Log into the Intranet Administration Site and click on Site Settings.
Enter in the new drive and path of where the Intranet directory is located. For example, if the folder is now in d:\inetpub\wwwroot, you need to change the drive and path field in Administrator Info to be d:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet
Save you changes and you’re done!