Navigation and Mega Menus
When you add a new menu to the top menu bar, you can choose if you add a single link, single menu, or mega menu.
Mega menus can have up to 5 columns. Each column can contain groups of menu items as well as widgets.
The top menu bar is global to all sites, and not be configured differently on a per site basis. However, what is displayed in menus is based on permissions of the individual users to the linked items.
Start Editing the Top Menu Bar
To start editing the menus, ensure you are logged in as an administrator and click the pencil icon on the right side of the top menu bar.
If you current site does not have any menus, then the top menu bar will not be visible. In this case you must go through the Admin screens to start editing.
- Click Admin in the upper right.
- Click the Design tab.
- Click Global Navigation
Once you start editing, the Save Changes bar will appear at the bottom of the screen.
You can edit multiple menus before saving changes. No changes are saved until you click the Save Menu button.
Adding a Menu to the Menu Bar
To add a new menu to the top menu bar, click the + sign on the right side.
Choose the type of menu you want to add, and a new menu will be added to the top menu bar. You can move the new menu by clicking and dragging the menu into position.
Editing Mega Menu Columns
By default, a new menu is inserted with 3 columns with 3 menu widgets. The interface for editing menus uses the same icons as editing a widget pages:
- To add a new column, click the Insert Right Icon on the right side of the screen.
- To remove a column, click the Delete Icon at the bottom of a column.
- To insert a new empty widget frame, click the Add Widget icon at bottom of a column.
Adding a Menu Widget
You can add almost any widget into a mega menu, but most of the time, you will be adding menu widgets. (If you just added a new menu, three menu widgets in three columns have been automatically added for you).
To add a menu widget:
- Insert a new empty widget frame by choosing Insert Above, Insert Below, or Add Widget Frame Icon
- From the Build Tool, select Navigation, Menu
- Enter the title for your menu group.
- Click New Menu Item to start adding menu items
Moving and Deleting Widgets
Reorganizing the menu consists of adding, deleting, and move widgets around.
Recommended Move and Delete Icons
When you are first starting to build mega menus, it is highly recommended that you use the widget frame move and delete icons. Using these icons instead of the widget icons will keep the widget frame and contained widget together.
Outlined below are the differences in using the widget frame icons versus the widget icons.
- Clicking and dragging the move icon for the widget frame (top row) will move the widget frame and any widget inside of it.
- Clicking and dragging the move icon for the widget (middle row) will take the widget out of the widget frame and move it into a new frame
- Clicking the delete icon for the widget frame (top row) will delete the widget frame and the widget inside of it.
- Clicking the delete icon for the widget (middle row) will delete the widget inside of the widget frame, leaving an empty widget frame
Like with widget pages, if you drag and drop a widget from one frame onto a widget in another frame, the two widgets will be swapped.