A centralized, searchable employee directory helps employees connect with each other.
Under the Admin, Security tab, you will find many settings as they relate to login behaviour, user and group management, permissions reports and other advanced settings.
When you’re looking to add users to your intranet, choose from the 4 available options below:
- Synchronization with Active Directory,
- Importing profiles in bulk using a CSV spreadsheet (manually),
- Importing profiles in bulk using a CSV spreadsheet (automated/scheduled)
- Manually adding users.
Review each method below and choose the best method for your scenario.
Warning: Once a user has been added/synchronized with the intranet, they can be disabled but cannot be deleted.
Synchronization with Active Directory
Intranet Connections synchronizes with Active Directory easily and seamlessly. AD synchronization is our preferred method of adding users to the intranet for these reasons:
- Add your Active Directory information on each of the required fields. Upon saving, the synchronization process will be triggered and all of your AD users will be pulled in to the Intranet Connections site. You can apply filters to the AD synchronization which will help pull in users belonging to a specific AD security group or OU.
- Your IT team is responsible for adding users to Active Directory every time a new employee joins your organization. Enabling AD synchronization will eliminate the overhead associated with the manual creation of a secondary set of intranet credentials for new employees.
- Updates made to users in Active Directory are reflected on the intranet site. Users that are disabled/deleted in AD will be disabled in Intranet Connections.
Note: Do not enable AD synchronization until you have read-through/implemented the steps on each of the articles below.
- Create an AD Sync Service Account
- Create an AD Group Filter or Create an AD OU Filter (save final string to Notepad)
- Enable AD Synchronization using the Information Above
Also ensure that the web server running the intranet is added to the domain.
When ready, open your intranet site, go to admin > Security > AD login synchronization. The compiled list of AD sync articles above will help step you through the process of enabling a proper, recommended synchronization.
In order for single sign-on to work as expected in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and FireFox, the domain name being used for the intranet (eg, intranet.mycompany.com) will need to be added to the preferred browser’s Local Intranet Zone. For detailed steps on adding the intranet domain name to the Local Intranet Zone your browser, click here.
Importing Profiles in Bulk Using a CSV Spreadsheet (Manually)
Our CSV import feature will allow you to import users in bulk fashion using a CSV spreadsheet populated with user data. In addition to creating users, the CSV import process will allow you to update user data in bulk. This option is most appropriate for organizations that lack Active Directory or, in addition to AD, would like to give non-AD users access to their intranet site.
- Using Microsoft Excel or any other spreadsheet software that supports the CSV format, add intranet user information to the CSV spreadsheet, (For a sample CSV spreadsheet, please click here).
- The first row in the spreadsheet will consist of the column headers. For each user field that needs to be populated, you will need to add a respective column header (eg, First Name, Last Name, Email, Username, Job Title etc).
- Populate subsequent rows with user profile information.
- To create a login, you will need to have the First Name, Last Name, Username and Email column headers to your CSV.
For employee login updates, we rely on a match of username and/or email address with a record that already exists in the software. If no match is found, Intranet Connections will create a new login record.
- For the creation of employee records, you will need the First Name, Last Name, Email and Department column headers in order for the record to be imported.
- After constructing the CSV spreadsheet, open your intranet and go to admin > Security > import logins [csv utility].
- Use the file-upload at the bottom to upload your CSV spreadsheet and click upload.
- On the resulting page, match each CSV column header to its respective login and/or employee profile field and click import. This will import all of the employee records in to our product.
- Verify that this has worked by going to admin > Security > find logins and performing a search for the first and last name of an individual that has been imported. If they appear in the search results, your import was successful.
Note: User passwords cannot be set through the CSV spreadsheet. Users will need to rely on the Forgot your Password? link on the login screen to set their password. Alternatively, enabling the admin > Security > welcome message setting will result in a welcome email to be sent to all newly imported users which will offer steps on setting up an account password.
Importing Profiles in Bulk Using a CSV Spreadsheet (Automated/Scheduled)
In addition to manually importing your CSV spreadsheet, we also support automating the CSV import without the need to go through the manual steps above.
- Every five minutes, our software looks for a users.csv file in the ../Intranet/Scheduled/ folder on the web server housing the Intranet Connections solution.
- The CSV spreadsheet will need to be in the exact format showcased in the sample CSV spreadsheet linked above. The following list details each column header available: firstName, lastName, email, userName, profileDomain, department, division, title, supervisorEmail, location, employeeNumber, license, phoneNumber, extLocal, cell, homePhone, fax, pager, anniversary, birthday, skillSet, jobDesc, personalInfo, messenger, linkedIn, facebook, twitter, googlePlus, photoSite, htmlField, customCode
- Once the automated process imports the CSV spreadsheet in the designated location, the file will be deleted.
The automated CSV import process is very useful in scenarios where you will need to rely on a third-party HR system to populate the intranet with employee data. Most third-party HR systems will offer a CSV export option that can be leveraged in conjunction with the automated CSV import in our product to populate your intranet with the latest employee data.
Manually Adding Users
The final option is to add users in to the product manually. This option can be best leveraged in conjunction with the importing profiles in bulk using a CSV spreadsheet (manually) method.
To add users:
- Go to admin > Security > create a login and fill out the login creation form.
- Once you’ve completed the form, click save & create employee.
- Fill out the secondary form and click save.
This will result in the creation of a login and employee profile for a user in your organization.