Documents or files are normally stored as items within the Document Library application. Almost all files which have text content (Microsoft Office Documents, PDFs, text files, HTML files) have their content indexed within search.
With the document library application, you can set view and edit permissions by editing the security rights on various folders.
Documents Versus Pages
When you have HTML content, you can choose to store that content in an HTML field in a Document Library, or add to the intranet as a page. A Document Library provides better tools for managing the information.
Use pages when:
- the information is relatively unstructured and not moderated
- content frequently changes but previous revisions do not need to be kept
Use an application when:
- the accuracy of the information must be maintained
- previous versions must be referenced
- the information is structured, and should be organized into fields
- files will be attached
Applications (Documents Library, etc.)
Return to Lessons for New Administrators