Unlike other browsers, Internet Explorer (IE) may require that the first authentication method used is NTLM. The default authentication method for IIS is Kerberos.
Note: This is only for Windows Authentication.
To switch the authentication method so that IE can also authenticate properly, use the following steps:
- Navigate to IIS on the web server
- Select the web site from the list on the left
- Double-click Authentication as seen in the following image:
- Highlight ‘Windows Authentication’
- Click ‘Providers’ from the right nav as in the image below:
- Select NTLM from the list as shown in the image below:
- Click ‘Move up’
- Click OK to save this change