It's generally accepted that employee engagement is something to strive for in an organization. Staff who are engaged feel a connection to the company, believe their work is important, and want to do their best. Your intranet can help you to accomplish this!
Your first step is to better understand what's happening on your intranet. Use the powerful stats tools introduced with Version 14.0 Insights to see your most and least used Applications over a specific period, or user activities. Use the provided dashboards or create your own if there's a specific type of data you'll need repeatedly.
Engagement can be encouraged in a variety of creative ways:
- post news about employees to help connection between coworkers; staff love to hear about the impact their coworkers are having
- run a 'photo of the day' contest, feature the submissions, and have staff vote on a winner
- set permissions to allow staff to contribute news stories, subject to moderation by Communications staff
Our blog posts linked below discuss all aspects of employee engagement, from encouraging the feeling of winning together, to creating personalized content. Start getting inspired.
From the Intranet Connections Blog
- Employee Engagement: Strategies to Have Fun at Work
- The Five Habits of Highly Engaged Employees
- Sugar and SPICE and Everything You Need For Employee Engagement
- Top 3 Content Marketing Trends to make Your Intranet Content more Engaging
- 4 Intranet Tips to Simplify Your Intranet and Improve Engagement
- Generating Employee Engagement with Millennials
Use Intranet Tools for Engagement
Intranet Connections includes lots of ready-to-go Apps which can be used to improve employee engagement, including features such as company news, blogs, online training calendars, or job postings; learn more in the App Overview article.
Specific tool techniques include:
- Employee Directory - allow staff to update their profile photos (under Admin > Directory tab > ensure the User Edit checkbox is ticked) to help coworkers recognize each other and show some personality
- Birthdays or Work Anniversaries - show upcoming staff events from the entire organization or specific departments in a Birthday or Anniversary widget to help connect staff
- Employee recognition or kudos - help employees to highlight the great things their coworkers are doing, using an Employee Recognition App
- Featured employees - use the Employee Profiles widget to feature employees; choose whether to include their photo or personal information
- Staff area - create a space where staff can post information directly to coworkers; keep it simple with just a widget to allow direct messages such as fundraisers, or create a site which may also include areas like Buy and Sell, Recipe Share, etc.
Some of our customers have gone a step further and put in place custom tools for their organization which increase engagement in a whole new way. Learn directly from our customers about their experiences.
We have more great ideas about intranet tools to increase staff engagement in the blog posts linked below.
From the Intranet Connections Blog
- Top 7 Best Employee Retention Strategies That Work
- 3 Internal Marketing Strategies To Engage Employees
- Improving Employee Engagement With Our Intranet
- Top Workplace Engagement Ideas: Learning Luncheons
- Engage Employees by Celebrating Personal Milestones
- 3 Ways HR can Improve Employee Engagement with an Intranet
- Show Employee Appreciation to Boost Engagement
- Apply The 10 C’s Of Employee Engagement To Your Intranet
- Top 5 Engaging Intranet Features