Credit unions are very connected with their members and their communities, and an intranet is an ideal way to share that type of information - as well as other organizational resources - in a consistent way. Most credit unions have similar needs and uses for an intranet, and their main priorities are to:
- share key information such as rates, policies, and services for members efficiently
- use their intranet to bridge organizational communication gaps
- streamline internal processes such as forms and training
Key Intranet Functions and Tools for Credit Unions
Learn more below about how to achieve credit union goals with your intranet. Common tasks are outlined below - along with the Intranet Connections tools that can be used to attain those goals.
Financial industries in particular need their staff to be up-to-date on rate changes and other industry information, as well as the services offered to members.
- add an RSS Feed widget on the Home Page for external sources such as Bank of Canada rate changes.
- create a distinct Member Services Site for all member-specific information such as forms, rewards, holiday closures, or excellent interactions with members. Learn how to better serve customers through member services.
Policy and Procedure Management
In the highly regulated financial industry, it's key for credit unions to ensure staff are abiding by organizational policies and procedures. Use our policy tools to help with this:
Workflows and Forms
Using workflows to automate processes can ensure the right people get the right notifications without a lot of emails.
- Form workflow - staff form submissions can be automatically sent for approval to one or multiple people, or just email notifications can be used; allow managers to edit or delete responses
- Documents - the same type of notifications can be put in place when files are added to folders within a document respository
Training for Staff
Consistency in how staff treat customer interactions and organizational processes is critical for credit unions, and training plays a key role.
- Training Calendar - use the Training Calendar app to set up courses for staff and track attendance; create categories for various types of training and assign Course Managers
Credit unions tend to be very involved with their communities, offering staff many opportunities to get involved. In addition to using the general news functionality, volunteer activities can be shared using the following tools:
- Event site - add a distinct area to your intranet in the form of a Site for either all volunteering activities or for one large event. This allows you to include navigation specific to this area, restrict editing or viewing rights, or theme the site with different colors.
- Blog - if there will be frequent updates about volunteering in general or for one specific event, you can add a Blog as a communication tool. If you've added a volunteer site, include a blog feed widget its home page!
- Events Calendar - planning many volunteer events? Either use a separate Events calendar for those events, or create a category for them. Learn more about the Events Calendar.
- Training Calendar - depending on the volume of volunteer events, either use another instance of the Training Calendar app for volunteer events, or add a 'volunteering' category to an overall organizational calendar.
In addition to the key features and functions noted above, credit unions also want to perform the following tasks:
- share holiday closures - use the Events Calendar app to share when the doors will be closed and what the hours will be for staff and members
- get staff input - add a Quick Poll to the intranet home page to ask staff a one-question survey to gauge their interest in an activity, get their preference, or find out their opinion
From the Intranet Connections Blog
- Credit Union Intranet: 100% Adoption & Satisfaction
- Relieve Credit Union Pain Points With An On Premise Intranet Solution
- Credit Union Mergers and Acquisitions: Insights and Solutions
- Are you Using these Key Credit Union Features?
- Credit Union Intranets that Inspire
- Finance Intranets Connect & Organize Credit Unions
We've been fortunate to gain more insight and information about several Intranet Connections' credit union client intranets, shared in the following case studies:
Pima Federal Credit Union
This Arizona-based credit union wanted an intranet that would help their executives connect with employees no matter their location, translate their corporate culture online and centralize important resources, such as online forms and policies. They got it with their new intranet, known as Dwight.
Learn more in the Pima case study.
InTouch Credit Union
InTouch Credit Union recognized the need for a better internal communications and document platform. They needed an intranet to centralize documents and communications, and are now able to hold employees accountable for being up-to-date on the latest news after the launch of their intranet, InSight.
Learn more in the InTouch case study.
Verity Credit Union
This Seattle-based credit union needed an intranet that could house resources in an organized manner and automate paper-based processes, all while being easy to use and administer. Staff intranet satisfaction increased 167% after making the switch to Intranet Connections.
Learn more in the Verity case study.