App Builder apps (e.g. Documents, Company News, Buy & Sell, etc.) all have layout options available for you depending on how you want to display content within the app.
It's not possible to have this layout pulled into an Application Feed or What's New Feed widget.
Appbuilder applications have four primary views that you can customize to display your fields and data: Home Page, List View, Item View, and Search Results.
For all of the layouts (other than Home), as you click an option on the right side, you'll be shown available layout options in the top bar.
Note that this is at the app level, there is no separate sort/layout options at the folder level.
Home is the first screen you see of the app, and there are several different layout options available. Use this guide to help you choose your best Home Page layout.
If you have a single folder within the app, the Home view will automatically display the folder view (List View layout from the right menu).
- Search - works well if there are lots of items, or folders aren’t very relevant for locating content
- Folder tree/list - suitable for when folders are well-organized and users would understand where to find things; dynamic view allows for folders to be expanded/contracted
- Content - shows the list view of items, which can work when there aren’t many items or users don’t know what folders they might be in; this option provides a further choice of showing content grouped by folder (as in the image below):
List View is the folder view when you've clicked into a folder. If there's only one parent folder within the app, the Home Page and the List View will be the same.
- Table - displays item information where columns are the fields and each row is an item.
- Best for content that needs to be easily sorted and viewed
- List - displays information in a list format depending on the fields added to the view.
- Best for news and announcements as it can display content from Message Box fields
- Collapsible List - displays information in a shortened list that can be expanded/contracted as desired.
- Best for news and announcements allowing users a sneak peek without having to scroll through full stories.
Edit fields: To customize the fields that you'll be displaying in folder view, click 'edit fields' from the List View screen to drag fields into the currently selected layout type (table, list, etc). See below for more information.
Item View shows the details of a single item. When you click Item View you'll have a few options for layout, which you can either Preview or Save to see the effect of the layout on your data. You can also Edit Fields, described below, to further change your Item View.
The Search Results screen displays the results from a user search after they've searched for content within the App:
Usually, search results will appear with the same layout as List View, so when you Edit Fields (see more information on this, below), a Copy List View Layout button has been included. However, as with all layouts, you can customize the layout and fields as desired.
For each of the layouts (other than Home) you have a link to edit fields, where you can change the layout of the individual fields in the App.
List View: Table edit view
When first going into the 'edit fields' screen from either List View, Item View, or Search Results, you'll see a similar screen below depending on the layout type:
Table (only available for List View and Search Results)
To manage fields, you can drag and drop fields to reorder where they appear within the table. The top field will be reflected in the column's name (see in the image below). When viewing the table within the app, the user will be able to click the column name to rearrange the content based on the selected column in descending or ascending order.
For List View Table layouts it's recommended to have column widths totaling 100%:
- (1) Click the blue arrows to adjust the width of a column
- (2) Enter your number for the column width, then click the green checkmark to save the width
- Add Col - add additional columns
- Delete Column - click under the column that you'd like to remove
Click Save before navigating away from your page.
List View: List edit view
To manage fields, you can drag and drop fields to reorder their presentation. If it makes sense for the width of the field, you may also want to click the + Col button on the right, which will split the row into two columns and allow you to drag and drop another field into the new column so that two fields share a horizontal row.
You may also be able to add spacers and group fields in sections, depending on the results page and App, but the drag and drop functionality is similar. Whatever design choices you make, click Save before navigating elsewhere.
The List View also gives you options for sorting your fields. After clicking List View under App Admin, then clicking Edit Fields, you'll see Sorting at the top left of your centre screen.
Click on the triangle beside Sorting and you'll reveal options for a primary, secondary, and tertiary sort, based on the available fields in your App. You can also choose to sort any of these as either ascending or descending. Be sure to click the Save button when you're done with your sorting selection.
For each of the layouts (other than Home) you have a link to manage widgets where you can add a widget of your choosing - typically a Message Box widget - to the page. Often this is used to provide instructions to users.
Watch a brief video demo of this function.