Insights is the built-in statistical tool for Intranet Connections software, providing admins with tools to better understand intranet usage. Learn more in the Stats Overview article.
The application usage dashboards show the view and individual counts of items aggregated at the application level. Applications includes Employee Directory, Company News, Documents Library, etc. These dashboards can be used to understand what applications are being heavily used in the intranet, or to find applications no longer in use for removal. It’s recommended to periodically remove unused applications to reduce clutter in the intranet, which in turn improves global search.
Typically, Employee Directory, Company News, and Documents are the most frequently used applications in an intranet.
The application usage category contains two dashboards:
- Top Applications - Provides a list of the most commonly used applications
- Least Used Applications - Provides a list of the least used applications
The Top Applications and Least Used Applications dashboards display the same information, but sorted differently.
You can change both the primary filter and secondary filters to filter results by a specific site, or restrict views to users in a specific department or location. The columns in both dashboards include the following:
- Icon - Clicking the icon will open the application within the intranet
- Application - The name of the application. Information in each row is specific to this application; note that different applications often have the same name, and can be re-named in the intranet
- Site - The application’s site is shown to make it easier to distinguish between applications with the same name on different sites
- Last Updated - The last date and time any item within the application was updated; this indicates if information is being maintained within the application
- Department - Shows only the application’s views for people in a specific department; only shown when Department is selected in secondary filter
- Location - Shows only the application’s views for people at a specific location; only shown when Location is selected in secondary filter
- Views - The total number of item views within the application in the set time frame, including both user and anonymous views, but not views of the application’s home page or folder navigation clicks; note that if one user views the same item multiple times without navigating to a different application, it’s treated as one view
- Individuals - The number of unique people who have viewed at least one item in the application in the set time frame; all anonymous views are treated as one individual
By default, these dashboards display views by all users for all applications across all sites, and the department or location columns are not shown.
To filter down the application usage statistics by time frame, site, department or location, you can adjust the following filters:
- Primary Filter
- Site - Shows the applications for all sites, or just the applications for a specific site
- Start / End Dates - Restrict the view and individual counts to a specific time frame
- Secondary Filter
- All Applications - Include all applications for the site(s) selected in the primary filter, or choose a specific application; useful when you want to view statistics for one application segmented by department or location
- Filter by Demographic - Options include Everyone, Department, or Location. When everyone is selected, each row corresponds to one application. When either Department or Location is selected, the respective column is added to the table, and each row then segments the view and individual counts by the department or location.
- All Departments - Choose to segment application views by all departments or a specific department; when a specific department is selected with All Applications, the table shows application usage by a specific department
- All Locations - Like All Departments, but segmenting by location
Example: Company News Views by Department
Let’s say you're interested in breaking down Company News by views per department. In the secondary filter, you would:
- Change All Applications to Company News
- Change Everyone to Department
- Leave All Departments selected and click Apply
After applying the filter changes, the rows in the dashboard will be different, as shown below.
Now, instead of each row corresponding to a different application, each row gives a breakdown of the views of the Company News application, by each individual department. Notice that the Department is automatically added to the table when Department is selected as a filter option. In the above table, it's showing me that Company News is most heavily viewed by the Service Team department, followed by the Development Team.
Example: Application Usage by Service Team Department
By changing the secondary filter options, you can also view your application usage by a specific department. Let’s say you are focused on what applications the Sales Team department uses the most. In this case you would:
- Set application filter to All Applications
- Change Everyone to Department
- Change All Departments to Sales Team
Now the dashboard is only showing application usage by the Sales Team.
We can see that the Service Team department accesses the Employee Directory application the most, followed by Company News.