Insights is the built-in statistical tool for Intranet Connections software, providing admins with tools to better understand intranet usage. Learn more in the Stats Overview article.
The User Activity dashboard lets you view at an item level the actions your users take in the intranet.
It's primarily used to look up what a user was doing when they reported an issue. It only includes page, item, and search events tracked by statistics, and doesn't include general navigation within applications. A good example is when a user provides feedback that they couldn’t find what they were looking for on the intranet.
The columns in the dashboard include:
- Username - The name and login of the user who performed an action
- Icon - Opens in the intranet the item the user took action on
- Item - The item that the user performed an action on; when the action is search, displays the search terms entered
- Site - The item’s site is shown to make it easier to distinguish between items with the same name on different sites
- Date - The date and time the user performed the action
- Action - The action that the user performed. Includes create, view, edit, delete, and search
By default, this dashboard displays all actions for all users across all sites. The following filter options are available:
- Primary Filter
- Site - Shows user activity across all sites, or only activity that occurred on a specific site
- Start / End Dates - Restrict the log to a specific time frame
- Secondary Filter
- All Users - View activity for all users, or for a specific user. You can choose Anonymous to view just anonymous activity
- All Actions - Display user activity only related to a specific action (e.g. if you select Search, only search events are displayed)
Example: Find Top Contributors
While the Main Dashboard page displays the overall Top 5 contributors to the intranet, you can use User Activity to get more details of the items all users created.
- Open the User Activity, Overview Dashboard
- In the primary filter, select the date range for when items were created.
- In the secondary filter, change All Actions to Created.
Your dashboard will now show you just the Created items.
With the filter applied, you can now click Export to get just the created events for editing in Excel.
At this point, we have the data we need to generate a custom pivot table:
- Open .csv file in Excel
- Click Insert, Pivot Table from menu and accept default range.
- Drag user field under Rows, and item under Values
- Click the button next to Row Labels to change the Sort order
You now have a list of the top contributors of new content to the intranet.