Storyboard adds a feature story element to intranet sites; learn more in the Storyboard Overview article. Stories in the Storyboard can be added and edited endlessly - there are no limits.
Stories can be created or edited regardless of whether the Storyboard shows for users. However, in order for non-Admins to see Stories, the Show Storyboard box must be checked for a site.
Add a Story
To add a story, click the Storyboard icon in the Toolbar, then click the red + ADD STORY as circled below.
You're presented with a Story box, with options as follows:
- Story Title (1) - this text shows in the Storyboard and is part of what entices users to click on the story; the Title can be a maximum of 70 characters, and remaining characters count down below the field
- Feature (2) - choose Image or Video; if you choose Video, the available options will change, as shown in the next subsection below
Upload Image (3) - click this button to upload a story image from your system
- images should be sized to the ratio of 16:9 (e.g. 640 x 360 pixels)
- uploaded images not in a 16:9 ratio will automatically be cropped from the center and adjusted (there's no user control over the crop)
- if no image is added, the published Story will be blank/white with only a title
- Alt Text (4) - brief description of image
- Meta Description (5) - brief summary of content which can help with search findability
- Link URL (6) - links are required for all stories, including the http:// or https://; choose whether to open the link in the same or a new window (7)
Once you've added a Link URL, you can click Save as draft at the top of the window to save your work; you'll see a brief confirmation of the save at the top of your screen, as shown below (1). As you work on your Story, the status shows top right (2). At this point, you can leave the Stories screen and your work will be retained as a draft. Non-Admin users can't see draft stories.
When your story is ready for viewing, click PUBLISH STORY, top right (3, above). You'll again see a brief confirmation message in the middle of your screen (1, below), the Status changes to Published (2, below) and the option top right changes to SAVE STORY, so you can continue making changes and save them to your published story. Keep in mind that a Story may be published, but it won't be viewable to non-Admins unless the Show Storyboard box has been checked; learn more in the Storyboard Overview article.
Change your mind on the Story status? Under Status (2) click Edit and change from Published to Draft - and back again. Click the 3 dots (3) if you want to delete the Story or shortcut to create another Story.
When you click the button to change the Feature type from Image (default) to Video, the available options will change slightly, as shown in the image below. Paste your video URL and the image preview will automatically show the video thumbnail. Add the remaining fields as for Image, and either Save as draft or Publish your story.
Videos from YouTube, Vimeo and other websites can be added to the Storyboard. If you have corporate videos that you want to link to but don't want to be publicly accessible, we suggest creating private or unlisted videos on these sites so you can still link them from your intranet.
Links from the following streaming video/audio sites are currently supported in Storyboard: YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Dailymotion, Twitch, Wistia, Streamable, SoundCloud, Mixcloud.
Edit a Story
Editing a Story is straightforward.
- Click the Storyboard icon in the Toolbar.
- On the card of the Story you want to edit, click the edit pencil, as circled below. You can also click EDIT ALL STORIES to view and edit all Stories on one page.
- Edit any Story fields you want to change or change the Story to DRAFT. Keep in mind that the Story image can only be altered by uploading another image.
- Click Save Changes, top right.
Note that Stories are displayed consistently for all Sites, so the size, color, font, etc. can't be altered.
Change Story Order
The order of Stories on a Home Page can be rearranged to give them more or less prominence. To do this:
- Click the Storyboard icon in the Toolbar.
- Click the link (top right) to EDIT ALL STORIES; all Stories now show on one page.
- Mouse over a Story you want to move until you see the crosshairs, as indicated by the arrow below.
- Click and drag the Story to its new placement.
- Repeat until all Stories have been placed in the order you'd like.
- Return to the Home Page to see the new order of your Stories in action.
Delete a Story
Deleting a story is easy - but there's no undo. For a story you'd like to delete, click the trashcan, lower right on the story, as shown below. You'll see a confirmation message (below, right) to ensure you want to delete the story permanently; click DELETE to finalize.
There's another way to delete a Story. If you're already in the edit view of a Story, click the three dots, top right, and select Delete. This will immediately clear all fields for the Story and permanently eliminate the Story.