Video Library is a great way to store all videos in one location, for easy access by staff.
The Video Library is a modified version of the Documents App, optimized to work effectively for the display of video files.
The Video Library is included in the menu of your initial intranet setup; if you don't want to use it initially, you can simply edit the navigation and remove the item. Video Library will then continue to remain available under Admin > Assets under the Home Site.
Note that if you delete Video Library, it won't be available as a choice to add an App, since it's not a standalone App.
Build Your Video Library
To build your Video Library:
- Start by following the process to add an App to a site
- Select the Documents app template during the process of adding an app
- Update the App Card image and change the title and/or description as desired
- Click Build
- Click Manage Fields
- Add any fields as desired - the original version of this app contained the following fields:
- File Upload (used for embedding videos as mentioned in our Add Content article)
- Preview Graphic (image splash icons that you can display on the List View (folder) layout
- Video (HTML editor field)
- Added By (Created by - system field option)
- Save any fields added or any changes made before leaving this page
Next, be sure to update your layout options to reflect the additional fields and arrange the display as desired. See in the next section for examples of what this looks like.
Default Video Library Layout
The Video Library App comes with a standard layout for its default home page, List View, and Item View, as shown with sample content below. All layouts can be customized.
Home Page and List View
The Video Library comes pre-built with one folder. When there's only one folder, the Home Page and List View are the same, as shown below.
To manage the layout:
- From the app, hover over App Admin in the toolbar
- Click List View from the right menu under Layout
- The view shown below reflects the 'Table' layout type
- Click edit fields shown in the middle of the screen to begin dragging and dropping any additional fields, as well as arranging as desired
The Item View can be edited similarly to the List View layout. The change here is this is what the user will see when they click on the name of the video to watch it. Ideally, you'll need to add the video in a way so that the user can watch it. We recommend using the embed option for videos hosted through YouTube or Vimeo.
Alternatively, you can add videos using the embed instructions on our Add Content article - this will result in a similar look to the image below:
Customize Video Library
As with all Apps, there are many ways to customize. When you're in the App, hover over the Admin icon in the Toolbar, and click App Admin to access the settings.
Other than the name and description, you can:
- Choose which fields to display - click Manage Fields to view the current fields in the Video Library. If you mouse over a field you will get the crosshairs which allow you to hold and drag the field to reposition it, or you can click the edit pencil to show more options or the red circle to delete the field. Learn more about managing fields in the App Overview article.
- Change the layout - edit the layout of the App Home page, List View, or Item View. Learn more about Layout for Apps.
- Use folders to group contents - click Folders | Security to add, rename, or delete folders to categorize Video Library info. Click on the folder name to adjust the security of that folder. Learn more about Security for Apps.
- Add an approval function - click Approval Workflow, then click on a folder name to assign an Approval Manager workflow by folder. Learn more about managing folder workflow in the App Overview article.
- Advertise items - click Advertising Options, then click on a folder name to determine whether items in that folder will be advertised to the site homepage.
These are just a few of the many ways you can customize the Video Library App so it fits with your goals.