Have you come from another solution where your documents are a mess, don't know where things are located, or documents are lost in the 'void'? Establishing a Single Source of Truth takes planning and governance to implement. Here's how you can do this using our software.
Home Documents app
Within the intranet, you'll have team or department sites, the Home Documents app should live on the Home site. This is where all documents would be kept and linked to other areas of the software.
To add this app:
- Go to Admin > Assets tab
- Select the Home site
- Click the + icon beside Apps and choose the Documents template
- Add a name (e.g. Master Docs)
- Click build
- Click Folders | Security
- Build out your folder structure by clicking Add Another Folder
- Name your folder and click save
- Click apply security to assign add/edit rights to users or groups, or click view beside folder owners (shown below)
- Click Home to add more folders
Next, have the Content owners upload Documents into folders where they are sorted by department, team, Projects, Policies, SOPs, etc. Once the folders are established, appropriate permissions can be applied to those folders for global view rights with specific add/edit rights for the people responsible for maintaining those documents.
Linking to Master Docs
Now that you have your Master Docs app established, it's now time to set up your Team site apps. Add a new Doc app to a team site:
- Navigate to Admin > Asset tab
- Select the Team site where you want to add your first Doc app
- Click + beside Apps and select the Documents template
- Name as desired (e.g. Teller Docs, SOPs, etc)
- Next, click Properties and scroll down to the Options section
- Click Site Search and turn off search for this app - this will prevent duplicate entries for the same document in your search results
- Add folder structure similar to what you did in the previous section
- Click Manage Fields and add a Link Address field (if one doesn't already exist)
- In the example above, you can see the link field has been named Doc Link and has been linked to the title field (this is important as the links to the documents of the Master Docs app won't be files)
Permissions won't matter too much at the folder level here as it's assumed if the user has access to the Site, they should have access to all content within the apps of this site.
In the interest of saving time, clone this app and move the clones to the other desired team sites. Folder structure and content can't be copied.
To start adding content:
- From the App Admin area, click Go To App
- Click into the desired folder
- Click Add and add the name of the document
- In the Doc Link field, paste the link to the file from the Master Docs app
- Save the item
To get the link to the document, navigate to it on the Master Docs app > click detail view below the name of the document > right-click the file upload link (shown below) and copy the link address from the right-click menu (may have different wording depending on the browser you're using).
Repeat this process for all documents that you want to link back to the Master Docs app.