There are a number of reasons you may wish to create a team site on the intranet. Some common examples include:
- Project collaboration and visibility on key tasks
- Department-focused updates, documents, events
- Event planning or alerts, resources, quick links
- Training site to host training documents, videos, and links to key resources (e.g., course material, online tests in the intranet, etc.)
Create a Site
The following steps can be done by an Administrator or Super Admin:
- Navigate to Admin > Assets tab
- Click the + icon next to Sites
- Name your site > click Build
- Click + next to apps to begin adding apps to your new site
- Tip: If you just want the apps as placeholders to add content later, click 'create' to skip the build step and come back to it later
- Do this for each app you wish to add to your site
- Most Sites typically contain the following apps: Documents, Company News, Events, etc.
- Once you've added all your apps, click the Site name from the breadcrumbs below the Assets tab
- Click Go To Site
- You'll see a generic page for your site with a link to the home page of your new site that looks like this:
- Click 'Edit Page' from the toolbar to remove this widget and begin adding widgets to populate content on your site
- Considerations on widgets to include:
- What's New feed to pull in new content that has been advertised
- Application Feed widget to pull in recently added documents - Applications will display with the name of 'Site name: App name' to make it easier to locate in the list (see image below on how the apps on the team site 'Employee Health' display in the list of appbuilder apps)
- Application Feed widget to pull in upcoming events - Similar to how the apps display in the above image, selecting Events Calendar / Training option will display apps the same way
- Click Save Widgets at the bottom of the screen when you've finished adding widgets
- Update your Site Navigation Menu - click the pencil icon next to Site Navigation in the left column
- Add the new apps you created on this new site:
- Click Save Widgets on the bottom of your screen
Congrats! Your site is now ready to be populated. Here's an example of a basic setup for a site:
Site Widget Feed - Need to push out alerts to the top of your homepage? Check out our article on how to do this.
Events Calendar - If you created this, you'll need to add a category/folder first before you'll be able to populate events on this app.
Assign Site Owners to maintain the content on this site and push updates to the home page as needed
Advertise to Home - Want all advertised content to immediately push to the main Home page of your intranet? Navigate to the site > hover over Admin > Site Admin > click Properties from the right menu > select the radio button next to advertise content to site & home site.