In this article, you'll find instructions to upgrade to Version 14.0 Insights, as well as prerequisites required prior to performing the upgrade. Learn more about Version 14.0 features.
Unlike previous upgrades, this upgrade process can upgrade your software directly from Version 13.0 to Version 14.0.
This version is compatible with supported browsers Chrome, Firefox and Edge.
Prep for Upgrade
Preparation is key to a successful upgrade. Ensure all of the following items have been checked off before beginning your upgrade.
Start by reading the Upgrade Process Overview article to understand the entire process.
Access to Upgrade Files
- Confirm the version of your software is either 13.0.9 (i.e. for current Version 13.0 customers) or 13.5.9 (i.e. for current Version 13.5 customers). Although, you can upgrade directly from 13.5.x to 14.0, we recommend patching up the latest patch before the upgrade.
- In advance of the upgrade, login and download the 14.0 Upgrade zip file (e.g. ICUPG14015.zip) - it's important to do this in advance so the upgrade process isn't stopped after you've allocated resources and advised users
- UserName: email address of the Primary contact (i.e. typically the person responsible for contacting Intranet Connections for Support; if you're unsure, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can confirm the Primary contact email)
- Password: product serial number, found in the Admin area on the Setup tab
- Save the file to C:\Temp
- You must have Super Admin rights on the intranet
- You must have an IntranetConnections database user as a db owner over the intranetconnections database (Log in to SQL Server Management Studio > Expand Security > Expand Logins > Double Click IntranetConnections > User Mapping)
- SQL Server - System Administrator account name and password will be required (i.e. SQL account, not Windows auth)
- Lucee / Railo - Administrator password will be required; test password by logging in (e.g. in Version 13.0 http://<servername>/railo-context/admin/web.cfm and in Version 13.5 http://<servername>/lucee/admin/web.cfm)
- Check the supported web server requirements for the destination server (note that 2008 R2 will likely also work but is not officially supported)
- Web Server access:
- web server local admin access - upgrade requires the ability to create a folder on the C drive
- apply pending Windows updates and restart the web server
- ASP.NET 4.5.2 or higher
- DefaultAppPool (Intranet's AppPool within IIS) requires .NET CLR Version set to v4.0
- IIS configuration - disable Basic Authentication on the intranet website (i.e. default website)
- Browser prep - if you've installed a new server, open default browser at least once to allow browser configuration to complete
Prior to starting your upgrade, back up your intranet database and application files, as outlined in the Upgrade Process Overview article. Do not proceed with your upgrade if you haven't backed up files.
Historical Intranet Statistics
During this upgrade, if you're upgrading from Version 13.0 the time limit for your intranet statistics will automatically be set to 365 days to optimize performance, and all previous historical statistical information will be purged. If you want to compare year-over-year statistics, or retain all of your historical statistical data, and are willing to accept a reduction in performance (extent will depend on your number of users and length of time retained), contact email@example.com prior to upgrading and our Support Team can assist in adjusting your settings. This does not apply if you're upgrading from Version 13.5.
- Log onto your web server as a local administrator (Domain Administrator logins do not have enough rights) - disable both User Access Control and Anti-Virus software.
- Right-click the zipped ICUPG14015.zip folder and select Properties. At the bottom of the properties window check if there is an option for Unblock; if there is, apply the Unblock option.
- Right-click the zipped ICUPG14015.zip folder and select Extract All…; follow the on-screen prompts to complete file extraction on the server.
- In the ICUPG14015 folder open InstallDetails.txt.
- Copy the content of InstallDetails.txt to your clipboard. This script will be used to extract configuration information from your intranet to perform the migration.
- If you've changed your Railo/Lucee administrator password from the default, update it in in text file as shown below
- On your Intranet, go to the Admin area > Setup tab.
- In the Settings section under Extensions, click Execute Custom Code (note: you must be logged in as a Super Admin to see this option).
- Paste into the message box area of the execute custom code box and click Execute. Your browser will download an XML file containing configuration details of your intranet.
- Save this file and place it on your web server in the ICUPG1401\config folder.
- If you're upgrading from Version 13.0 follow the following sub step; if you're upgrading from Version 13.5 then skip this step.
- Look for and uninstall the IIS URL Rewrite Module 2.0 as an installed Programs.
- Right-click the start.bat file located in the ICUPG1401 folder and click Run as administrator.
- The install will prompt for the database’s administrator login and password, use the SQL Server System Administrator login.
- When prompted to keep IIS features and roles, click Yes.
- At the end of the upgrade a web browser will open up to clean up files that are no longer needed. If this page takes a long time to load, refresh the page.
- You may need to complete this step on your workstation. Simply copy the URL into a browser on your machine
- Once the upgrade process is complete, the command prompt window will ask you to press any key to exit the upgrader.
- In your intranet's Admin area, look on the Setup tab to verify you're now on Version 14.0 and at least Lucee version 4.5.5.015.
- On the web server, set the User Account Control setting back to its previous level.
- Delete the temporary folder ICUPG14015 on the web server.
- Adjust the memory settings for Lucee and ElasticSearch.
- Ensure your scheduled tasks are running (Admin > Scheduled Tasks). System Tasks should be enabled, Web Services should be enabled unless this is a development environment, and Active Directory Sync should only be enabled if you are using AD Sync.
- Ensure that the Stats link in the top right menu brings you to the stats page.
- The day after upgrading, ensure that data shows on the stats page.
Server Error in '/statistics' Application
Depending on the SQL environmental configurations, you may encounter an error regarding the statistics similar to below.
Server Error in '/statistics' Application. Login failed for user 'intranetconnections'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'intranetconnections'.
This error can be caused by the credentials having been changed for the 'intranetconnections' SQL login. To resolve this, you'll need to update the password found in the connectionstrings.config file to match what the password for the 'intranetconnections' SQL login has been changed to. The default location for the connectionstrings.config file is C:\inetpub\wwwroot\statistics\connectionStrings.config.
Errors During the Upgrade
Depending on environmental configurations, you may encounter an error during the upgrade process. If a problem occurs, the upgrade process will stop and an error message will be displayed in the command prompt window, something similar to below.
You can review the log of what occurred by navigating to the logs folder, located within your upgrade folder. Please send the contents of the log file to firstname.lastname@example.org to open up a ticket and we'll work with you to resolve any issues encountered.